Priority Rate Update 1-21-18
Posted On | January 21 2018
USPS Priority Rate Update and Service Changes for January 21st, 2018
The USPS 2018 shipping rate changes take effect January 21, 2018 across all shipping services. Overall, rates increased for most products, weights, and zones. Most Shipping Services products will average a 3.9% price increase across the board, including the USPS Priority Mail rate increase.
Like last year’s changes, the 2018 USPS shipping rate changes are mostly consistent with those of its competitors. FedEx recently announced an average rate increase of 4.9 percent for various shipping products. UPS also announced an average rate increase of 4.9 percent that will go into effect December 24, 2017.
USPS 2018 Shipping Rate Changes Highlights:
- Priority Mail rates increase for most packages, but notice that some weight/zone combinations actually see a decrease
- Unlike last year, there will be changes to Priority Mail International, Priority Mail Express International, or First-Class Mail International Package Service rates
Priority Mail Express (PME) rates will increase by an average of 3.9 percent overall. PME services are split into a Retail price category and two discounted Commercial price categories (Commercial Base and Commercial Plus) although the pricing for both commercial options remain aligned to offer the same discounts compared to retail. Ultimately, customers who use Commercial priced PME will on average save 11.3 percent over Retail PME
PM prices will see an average increase of 3.9 percent overall, with Retail prices increasing by an average of 0.8 percent, Commercial Base increasing 6.2 percent, and Commercial Plus prices increasing 6.1 percent.
PM Flat Rate Retail prices will increase as follows:
- Flat Rate Envelope: $6.65 to $6.70
- Legal Flat Rate Envelope: $6.95 to $7.00
- Padded Flat Rate Envelope: $7.20 to $7.25
- Small Flat Rate Boxes: $7.15 to $7.20
- Medium Flat Rate Boxes: $13.60 to $13.65
- Large Flat Rate Boxes: $18.85 to $18.90
Commercial Base offers a 9.4-percent discount off retail on average and Commercial Plus provides an even greater bargain at 12.7 percent. Customers with significant volume can continue to seek deeper discounts from USPS for Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express through Negotiated Service Agreements.
USPS Parcel Select services will see average price increases as follows:
Parcel Select, 1 pound and above: 4.9 percent price increase
- Destination-entered: 6.3 percent price increase
- Non destination entered: 4.1 percent price increase
Parcel Select Lightweight (under 1 pound): 7 percent price increase
Other Notable Domestic Rate Changes
- Parcel Return Services: 4.9 percent price increase
- First-Class™ Package Service – Retail: 14.5 percent price increase
- First-Class™ Package Service – Commercial: 3.9 percent price increase
- Retail Ground™: 3.9 percent price increase
Prices for a range of international shipping products will increase by 3.9 percent each:
- Global Express Guaranteed (GXG)
- Priority Mail Express International (PMEI)
- Priority Mail International (PMI)
- International Priority Airmail (IPA)
- International Surface Air Lift (ISAL)
- ISAL M-Bags
- Airmail M-Bags
USPS will continue to offer matching Commercial Base and Commercial Plus discounted rates off retail but make deeper discounts available through Negotiated Service Agreements.
- To download a copy of the January 21, 2018 Priority Rate Update sheet, go to our home page and click on "Downloads" at bottom of page.